Thursday, September 09, 2010

30 Days of Me - Day 2 - Blog Name



Oh! Darling, please believe me
I'll never do you no harm
Believe me when I tell you
I'll never do you no harm

- Oh! Darling by The Beatles

I started this blog a year or two ago (actually, it was August 2005) when I was in the middle of wedding planning.
And yes, I named it Oh Darling after The Beatles song (which wasn't actually included in any of our wedding music) and bought ohdarling.net.nz ... but of course I don't have the internet skills to host an actual site or anything like that so it's secretly (not so secretly, really) called sarah-craig.blogspot.com as this was also back before I started using Sarah-Rose full time.
Back when I was plain old Sarah*.

Also, in my mind, Oh Darling is said with a crisp british accent, and a querying tone.
As in "Oh, darling? could you pour me another glass of wine?"

I was @ohdarling on twitter too, when I started using it in 2007. But after twitter exploded and I was tasked with setting up and running a[n UNDISCLOSED] work account I changed it to @ohsarahrose so it hinted at my website but also included my actual name. Much less embarrassing when it came to showing people in the office how twitter worked.
And it kept them away from my website for a while. Not long, of course, because it's linked from my facebook and, well, I tend to tell people about it ...


* One of my enduring memories from primary school is of a horrible nick name. Our class was reading "Sarah Plain and Tall" and, being decidedly NOT tall, a lovely little friend of mine called Kate decided that my new nickname would be "Sarah Short and Fat".
I wonder if she knows that such a silly little comment has stuck with me for decades, and seriously seriously messed with my self esteem? I doubt it.
Horrible girl.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle to keep my colleagues away from my site! Should really just stop trying, to be honest.

    And you were never "Sarah, short and fat". Boo Kate. Sometimes those comments just get stuck in us for such a long time.

    I always get the song in my head when I visit, btw.

    ReplyDelete