Friday, September 10, 2010

30 Days of Me - Day 3 - Friends

Oh dear, oh dear.
The trouble with being mainly behind the camera is that you end up in so few photos.
Also, I only have my fancy camera, and abhor the flash, so I honestly don't tend to take my camera out when I'm out with friends.
Also also, there are TWO days in this 30 Days of Me thing where a photo of you and friends is requested. That's just cheating. So I, instead, will feature one of my closest friends on each of these days. For I am a rebel.


Prettypretty Kat



This is Kat. She blogs at Humming Along. She is just lovely.


We were at creche together, or so she tells me, but the first I remember of her was at Intermediate School (age 11-ish).
She was absolutely teeny (the only time I was ever taller than her) with coke-bottle classes and her strawberry-blonde hair cut into a boys bob for a musical theatre role.
We weren't friends. We went to different high schools.


We met again when she came to my high school for our final two years. Again, we were more acquaintances than friends. But we were thrown together repeatedly as we studied the same sort of arty subjects and loved drama. She made me laugh, a lot. We used to keep quote books where out of context phrases were written down, to hilarious results of course.


I don't remember exactly when I realised that she was so important to me. But it was a few years ago.


Kat sung at our wedding. She performed Tori Amos' version of The Cure song "Lovesong" and I remember standing with Craig, gripping his hand, while our wedding register was signed and our marriage became legally binding, blinking back tears because she was just wonderful.


She also wrote us a song, The Middle, which I barely ever listen to because I never fail to cry, but which remains one of the most amazing presents I have ever, and suspect will ever, receive.


Kat lives in Edinburgh now, and I am forever grateful that she blogs and uses Twitter. I miss her a lot (a LOT) but this near-daily contact ensures that I feel as close to her as if we were not thousands of kilometres apart.


The Middle by Kat McKenzie

So this is what I know for sure
That when a brown-eyed girl met a blue-eyed boy
It set the world afire
And the light could not be kept from any door

And I've seen what no one else has seen
And I've been where no one else can be

I don't want the end
I want the beginning and the middle with you
All holes we can mend
I want the beginning and the middle with you

I'll see the middle with you..

And every day before you came
Were just in waiting for the one I knew would fit
So when you looked my way
Something stirred inside me, more than I'd admit

Don't want to face each day alone
Can't unearth all these seeds I've sown in us
I'm happy when I know you're home
Your voice on my telephone

You're my own sweet dream

So let me kiss you just once more
Before I know that I can do it for all time
Bind our hands as one, this day
So I'll be sure that I am yours and you are mine

And I'll be wherever you will be
And I'll see whatever you will see
And we'll be whatever we will be now

We can't see the end
I'll have the beginning and the middle with you
All holes we will mend
I'll have the beginning and the middle with you
I'll see the middle with you.

I know this time
Know this face
Know what's coming around
I know I won't be this
With anyone
With anyone but you

I don't want the end
I want the beginning and the middle with you
All holes we can mend
I want the beginning and the middle with you

I'll see the middle with you.
Let's have the middle.



Turns out? I can't even read the lyrics without tearing up.

2 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-read it again this afternoon and it still makes me teary. Thank you, my sweet. You mean more than you'll ever know. xx

    ReplyDelete